Sunday, November 11, 2012

a rant directed at those who jumble all the holidays together

Dear Lifetime, Hallmark Channel, Target, Best Buy, & any other business who feels the need to play Christmas movies/music already,

Last time I looked at the calendar, it was November 10. Last time I checked, Christmas fell on December 25th. Why do you feel the need to play Christmas music and/or create obnoxious Christmas displays this early in November?

I'm one of those people who refuses to listen to Christmas music until December. I've got Thanksgiving and Advent still to come. I grew up in a family who didn't decorate a tree or display many Christmas decorations until the week before Christmas. We like to celebrate each one of our holidays on its own. Thanksgiving isn't Christmas. Thanksgiving is the day for my family to come together, give thanks for one another, remember those who are no longer with us, share a meal, and laugh together. One month later, we will gather to celebrate Christmas.

I complain when you don't give your employees Thanksgiving day off and when Black Friday turns into a day of utter mayhem. Christmas displays and music this early in November makes me want to boycott your store or tv channel. Give it a rest and remember that there are other holidays and that not everyone wants the Christmas spirit thrown in his/her face all year long.

Sincerely,
a disgruntled person.

No comments:

Post a Comment