Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring cleaning

Because who really likes to clean?

OK, I know that some people do. I’m not one of them. I’d rather do laundry, cut the grass, or even iron. I wait to clean until I can’t stand the mess. (Sidenote: Despite this, I’m one of those organizing freaks. I color code things at work. I have specific folders for everything. I like up the pencil/pen holder, paper clip holder, and inbox along the edge of my desk multiple times a day. I’m strange). But, I’m not that way at home. I’m one of those people who gets the urge to clean at midnight. My dad and aunt don’t really appreciate me clomping around my room at that hour cleaning and organizing. Plus, I need music to clean and they certainly don’t want me blasting music all hours of the night.

Cleaning my room has been an ongoing project for say the last four months or so. I’ve been out of school for 2 years next month (it seems long when I say that) and I still have boxes and boxes of books, knick knacks, and other college-y stuff. I lived in a townhouse with a fabulous group of girls my senior year of college and I bought (read dumpster dived for most) things to furnish my room and our house. I’ve been living at home since graduation and don’t need most of it. Until now.

I’m overhauling my room because the likelihood that I’ll be moving out in the near future is slim to none. My room has been the same since high school. My interests have changed drastically. Growing up, I was all about baseball – specifically the Cleveland Indians. While I still love my Indians, I no longer want my walls decorated with an Omar Vizquel cutout or the picture of me from 6th grade with former pitcher Charlie Nagy. I’ve had lyrics of “Power of the Dream” by Celine Dion (in a frame) hanging on my wall since my 6th grade birthday. I’m ready to take that down too. I took down the Omar Vizquel cutout in January when I began the overhaul. The rest are coming down today.

(a fun fabric I bought today to cover the top of a small set of drawers I use as a computer table)
Phase one of the overhaul included bringing in a huge bookshelf (that I have since filled) and another dresser with a mirror. Tonight, I’m determined to empty my 2 small bookshelves and start rearranging.

It’s coming along. I’ll include pictures of a finished room soon.

1 comment:

  1. ooo, sounds fun! and that is really cute fabric. good luck!

    ReplyDelete