Thursday, July 22, 2010

Kiawah



You Should Spend Your Summer at the Beach




You're a free spirit who is always thinking of new ways to have fun.

And you don't just love summer... you live for it.

So, you really should blow off your responsibilities and head to the beach!


We used to spend a week every summer at Kiawah Island in South Carolina. The entire family (mom's side) would go. When I was younger, my grandparents owned a cottage. A couple years after Hurricaine Andrew, Papa sold the cottage. We'd stay in various condos closer to the beach than the condo. My family stopped going when I was in middle school, but my aunts, uncles, and cousins still go almost every summer. This week, my cousin Sarah is spending her honeymoon in Kiawah. To say that I am jealous would be an understatement.


{l}

I'd love to go back to Kiawah - to see what's become of the island that I thought my grandparent's owned. Everyone says that it's become more tourist-y and busy. I miss the lazy weeks spent playing at the beach, learning to swim in the kiddy pool, fishing in the ocean, and dancing at parties.

Sometimes, I step outside and it smells like Kiawah. It's in the air - the humidity mixed with flowers and sunblock. For a minute, I think I'm walking to the beach instead of looking at the pot hole filled Glenwood Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment