Wednesday, July 6, 2011

on leaving the land of gk, sensible shoes, hotdishes, and bars

We spent a chunk of our last week in Minnesota on retreat at Clare's Well. Located in Annandale, Clare's Well is working farm and a retreat place run by the Franciscans. The sisters there are absolutely wonderful. I was in love and not ready to leave on Wednesday evening. I could feel the stress of ending, or "leave taking" as someone referred to it, lift off my shoulders not long after we arrived. We were greeted by Lacy (the dog - see below) and the sisters with warm hugs and quick tours to get the lay of the land. They had baskets ready for us to raid the refrigerator and jugs of water (no running water in the hermitages, but they do have electricity and a composting toilet). I wasn't ready to leave the well on Wednesday evening. If I ever make it back up to Minnesota, I'll be scheduling retreat time there.

The Dome (one of the hermitages @ Clare's Well). Where I stayed.

Chapel

View from one of the windows in the Dome


Standing on the dock looking towards the barn and house.


Meet Lacy. She's blind and absolutely amazing...and she blogs!

Sunrise on Wednesday morning.


I left Minnesota last Friday. After a stop in Monroe to see the NL folks, I headed on to Ohio. I've been back since Sunday evening. I'm waiting for it to really sink in that I'm not on vacation, that I'm not working with the refugees anymore, that at this moment my life is here. Transitions aren't my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment